Saturday, July 17, 2010

Toot...Toot!! Chug..Chug!!


Honestly speaking, I do look forward to train journeys; especially, when it means building new acquaintances and initiating conversations with strangers big and small, old and young. However, the freedom and solitude that the upper berth guarantees is always a welcome experience. Right from listening to music to watching movies to reading novels, all at your own discretion without anyone looking down at you; this in itself redefines the concept of choice, which is not prevalent in this big, bold and beautiful world of ours, where decisions are forcefully imposed and free will is totally absent(ooohh..my philosophy professor would surely be impressed and...so would Kant). This is perhaps, just one of the reasons why I prefer the rail-gaadi to the hi-fi, comfortable flight journeys, which are just too fast to have actually occurred in reality! Being the gregarious person that I am, such long-distance visits have always been memorable. What adds to this is the fact that being a Mumbaiyya, every place where my presence is necessary is a minimum of 24 hours away which gives me all the more time to relish the trip. The bhel-puri sans onions is the delicacy I always look forward to and the joy of spilling it all over the place while gorging on it is even more enjoyable. Chai is not my cup-of-tea but when it comes to the Indian Railways’ special cut chai, I always have one. This automatically leads to amma sharing her opinion with those around as to how her daughter, who otherwise never touches this all-time favourite beverage, is so allured by this train waalah’s speciality. Be it the chikki on Mumbai bound trains, or the mirchi bajji on the deccan trains or the cutlets and paneer on the rajdhanis, food is a different experience altogether on this mode of transport and is one factor that sets it apart from the flights, which take pleasure in serving its starved passengers (thanks to its skewed schedule), food, which is not exactly palatable. My latest addition to this exhaustive list is the pink-and-white colored Raspberry Twin Pops by Funtacy ice-creams- being low fat, highly recommended (available at the Solapur junction)!!

Khaana apart, sleeping for most part of the journey in an attempt to catch up on last week’s beauty nap, is a part and parcel of being a train traveller. Ahhh..the rugs and the pillow in the AC compartments just transport one to a different world altogether- I have had the weirdest of dreams and what is surprising is that I have managed to remember them- never has this happened before at such alarming frequency. As ridiculous as this may sound I always look forward to some ‘good’ company in my compartment if not my cubicle. But as luck may hold, I always have the sole privilege of being an audience to senior citizens or a bunch of noisy kids and parents alike or some over-zealous individuals who make their presence felt throughout the compartment. As a result the strategy I adopt these days is to check the list which has the seating arrangements along with the passenger name and age, just to prepare myself to the above-mentioned eventualities. My dad has reasons ranging from seat confirmation, size of families and their place of boarding to look up the ‘evil’ list, but I follow this tradition purely for other reasons which pertain to the age groups and hence the type of families and co-travellers; the quantitative aspect is immaterial to me, but for my dear father, it does matter.

Talking about the train ‘junta’, they are an exceptional lot. The following people have gone a long way in making my train journeys unforgettable: the IIT-ian, with whom conversations took off just hours before arrival, but we happen to be great friends now (Courtesy: facebook, orkut, gchat...), even though I shall never forgive him for having taken away the last methi paratha that I had set my eyes on even before I got to know him properly while on the train...hmpf!!...next is this old couple, the typical ‘grandma-grandpa’ types, the granny, who served me her collection of pickles and all sorts of south Indian delicacies during the 24-hour journey, was great company! In fact, we even followed it up by visiting their place in Madurai during our stay down south!!! Another ‘jhund’ worth mentioning here is this 8-member Marwari family, whose conversations and decibel levels reached such an extent so as to make me wish that the Indian Railways borrowed some of Indian Airlines’ methods of providing cotton for the security of the eardrums. But, it kind of grew on me and the fact that they had in their possession 4 tins of ‘Theplaas’ and mixture was quite an appealing thought!! And yeah, not to forget, the family which was in the leather business in aamchi Mumbai...the moment they provided their contact details, I was elated at the thought of flaunting leather bags and clutches. Had I been a kid of 6 years, my dear amma would have ensured I stayed around her and not interacted much with bhaiyyas, uncles and strangers but nowadays , when I approach someone as unknown to me as a bunch of Christ College, Bangalore students playing UNO, on a train heading for Mumbai, to kill boredom, I never think twice. Train journeys do have a story in themselves; a tale that transcends time, where people walk in and out; while some stay there forever, the rest fade in the background!!

Basically, I have enjoyed every moment of eating, talking and heehaw-ing and survived to share my experiences with you!! Looking back, I have grown up with ‘the Train’, starting with a 6-year old kid trying to push the train while seated inside while holding the window grill to, getting into a moving train and travelling alone these days with strangers for company...what a metamorphosis!! This desi-gaddi is going places and has stolen hearts in dozens. What if Lalu ji loves them and introduces matki dahi to profess his louww, we love them too. So, moral of the story:

Chuck hawai-jahaaz...train lo, train!! :D

3 comments:

  1. What a post! The fact that you launch into random convos with random strangers is something I could never do! May I also add that the emphasis on food was noted with delight!!! :-D Wunnerful wunnerful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well well.....after reading this one ....i went back to 1950s' alfred hitchcocks' "strangers on a Train"...(although their r no horror characters here,,,but children definitely fit into this category for their noise.:-)...

    but if u take my word... definitely down the line a new and talented author is being made...!!!

    congrats on ur first blog....keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manjari!

    Long time since I read a light-hearted post in the blogs i follow! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete